In every community in America, at any given moment, there are children and families in crisis that need our help. And God has given us this great opportunity—this platform called the Care Portal—that puts the needs of the hurting in your community right in front of you so that you have an opportunity as a church and as an individual believer to say, “I am here for you.”
The church and the state, while they have different roles, are really caring for the same children and families. How much better would it be if the church and the state were to work together to ensure that the children and families were safe, were protected, and had a supportive church community to wrap around them?
The spectrum of child welfare:
- Prevention (keeping a family together)
- Foster care (kids having been removed need a temporary home)
- Adoption (kids need a permanent home)
- Transition (from being a 17-18 year old to becoming an adult)
Ways we engage:
- Physical needs (investing in people)
- Relational needs (walking with the hurting people)
- Family needs (becoming home for children who have no place to call home)
We’re not asking for the church to solve the foster care crisis in America, we’re asking your church to be a part of solving the foster care crisis in your zip code.
We have an opportunity for people to say, “when I was hurting, it’s the local church, in the name of Jesus, that came to help me.” That is exactly what Jesus did, and that is exactly what he has asked us to do.